Stump Grinding & Stump Removal
Don't trust your tree stumps to just anyone with a chainsaw. Call on the experienced tree service professionals at Barts Tree Service. We've been providing expert tree stump removal for more than 15 years.
Call us at 203-794-7080
OUR STUMP GRINDING SERVICES
You've just had a tree removed from your yard. Now what? Do you leave the stump, or should you have it removed?
There are five good reasons for grinding and removing a tree stump:
- The stump may be a safety hazard, an obstacle, or is just plain ugly.
- With the proper soil amendment, you can plant a new tree in the same location – but only after the stump has been removed.
- Removal eliminates the possibility of attracting highly destructive carpenter ants and/or termites.
- Stump removal discourages the growth of harmful fungi from the rotting process which could spread disease to nearby trees or plants.
- Removing the stump is the only guaranteed way to prevent the tree from growing back.
Without the right equipment and knowledge, stump removal can be an almost impossible task. Basically, there are two ways to remove a tree stump:
- Use an excavator - This is a quick way to get the stump out but it will cause major damage to a large area around the stump and can be very expensive. If you have a lot of stumps to remove and you'll be doing major landscaping work afterwards, this may be an option for you.
- Use a stump grinder - This is the easiest way to get rid of a stump without causing damage to your property. Results are permanent (the tree won't grow back), there are different sizes and styles of stump grinders to fit any location, and you'll be left with only a small area to patch or sod. This isn't usually a DIY project (see our article on renting and using stump grinders) so consult with a professional before tackling this yourself.
How Barts Removes Tree Stumps
Barts Tree Service has two stump grinders to tackle even the toughest removal job. We have a 50-horsepower Vermeer stump grinder with retractable tracks which enables it to fit through most gate openings and access tight places with very minimal impact on your landscaping. We also have a 85 HP grinder that can grind out stumps up to 10 feet in diameter!
A stump grinder has a steel wheel on the front with carbide-tipped teeth attached to it. As this wheel spins like a saw blade, it is lowered down on the edge of the stump and grinds from side to side, going deeper into the ground with each swipe. The blade can go as deep as 12 inches below grade.
For more details, see our Tree Stump Grinding FAQs with answers to the most common questions.
We offer three levels of service for removing your unsightly tree stumps which will help minimize your cost:
- Stump Grinding Only – Barts grinds the stump and leaves the wood chips for you to clean up or just place into the hole as mulch.
- Stump Grinding and Clean Up – Barts grinds the stump, removes wood chips, and rakes the area so there is just a hole for you to backfill with whatever you’d like.
- Stump Grinding and Seeding – Barts grinds the stump, removes wood chips, rakes the area, backfills the hole with screened topsoil, and applies grass seed and straw. You’re left with a lawn that looks like nothing ever happened. This is a service that most stump grinding companies don’t offer.
Don’t forget to check out our Stump Grinding Photo Gallery.
Our commitment is to exceed your expectations regardless of how large or small the job might be. With this in mind, we strive to deliver attention to detail, safety, and quality while always delivering our signature impeccable clean-up.
- Free Quotes
- Servicing Fairfield and Litchfield counties
- Equipment is low impact so there is no lawn damage in accessing stumps
- Any location (passes through traditional gates with retractable tracks)
- Grinds stumps 10″-12″ below grade
- Cleanup and backfill available
- Volume discounts available for multiple stumps
- Group discounts within a neighborhood
- Fully insured
- License # 0625619